At Glade Hill Primary and Nursery School, we love to read!
We read because we love to learn new things. We read because we like to escape and visit new worlds. We read because it gives us time to relax. We read for pleasure!
We read at home, we read in our classrooms, we read in the library, we read on the playground, we read on our own, we read to each other. We read anywhere!
Reading Reward Scheme (EYFS, Y1, Y2, Y3)
(Read Every Day, Talk Every Day)
How it works:
- Children are expected to read at home to an adult 3 or more times a week (which will need to be recorded in their reading diaries by an adult).
- Teachers will check reading diaries (on a set day each week) and if your children have read three times they will get a sticker on their teddy bear in their classroom.
- Children have to work towards earning ten stickers on their chart in order to win their RED TED reading award - their very own teddy bear!
- After that the children will get a new teddy bear chart and the process will begin again but this time they will be working towards winning a book to read to their teddy bear!
- This will repeat until they have filled their third teddy bear chart with ten stickers, and if they achieve this, they will earn a storytelling reward! A picnic with a storyteller, where they get to listen to lots of amazing stories!
BRONZE, SILVER and GOLD
Reading Reward Scheme (Y4, Y5, Y6)
How it works:
- Children are expected to read at home to an adult 3 or more times a week (which will need to be recorded in their reading diaries by the adult).
- Teachers will check reading diaries (on a set day each week) and if your children have read three times they will get a sticker on their Bronze book mark.
- Children have to work towards earning ten stickers on their bookmark in order to win their Bronze reading award - a personalised pencil. They will also be rewarded with a reading certificate.
- After that the children will be working towards achieving a Silver reading reward so the process will start again and they will need to collect ten stickers on their silver bookmark in order to be awarded with a new book!
- Once they have achieved this the process will repeat again until they have been rewarded with the Gold reading award - a trip out to Waterstones with the Head Teacher to buy their own book! And if it's sunny, maybe even have an ice-cream in Market Square!
We will be handing out two parent reading awards in each class, each week to say thank you to those parents who are hearing their children read frequently at home. Look out - the teachers may be displaying the names of the winning parents/carers on their classroom windows!