The key objectives of our RSHE programme are to:
- Develop knowledge and understanding of positive and healthy relationships and the importance of commitment
- Make pupils aware of their rights especially in relation to their bodies
- Enable the development of social and relationship skills and protective behaviours
- Prepare pupils for the physical and emotional changes of puberty
- Develop understanding of reproduction and birth within the context of loving and
- Explore a range of attitudes, values and faith perspectives around aspects of relationships and sex
- Support pupils to use the internet safely and to recognise the benefits and risks that it brings
- Develop pupils’ skills around assessing risk and keeping safe
- Enable children to gain the skills and understanding to support the development of healthy bodies and minds
- Enable pupils to recognise and manage their emotions
- Provide pupils with the knowledge and skills to access appropriate support
The RSHE programme is based on the needs of pupils in the school with learning outcomes appropriate to their age, ability and level of maturity. RSHE will be firmly embedded within our broader curriculum areas, including Science and PE, in addition to more focused learning through RSHE sessions, circle-time and assemblies. Pupils will be helped to appreciate difference and to respect themselves and others.
During RSE week we use The Christopher Winter Project planning and resources to help us teach these key objectives.